Monday, October 6, 2014

The First Date (One Act Play)

(The door bell rings. Rose answers the door.)
Rose: Mr. Foster I presume?
Sam: Umm…yeah. Hi Mrs. Montgomery; it’s nice to meet you.
Rose: Please, come in.
(Sam enters)
Sam: Is Alicia ready yet?
Rose: Not quite, we Montgomery women like to take our time.
Sam: I fully respect that…and I respect your daughter as well sir—I mean ma’am.
Awkward Silence
Interrupting each other
Sam: You have a lovely home.
Rose: Shall we just cut to the chase Sam.
Sam: I beg your pardon?
Rose: Let’s skip the chit chat and get to the part of this night where I interrogate you to ensure that you are good enough for my daughter, and then put the fear of god in you to ensure that she comes home in exactly the same condition in which she left.
Sam: Uhhhh……
(Alicia descends the stairs.)
Alicia: Hi Sam, sorry it took so long.
Sam: Don’t worry about it. Me and your mom were just…
Rose: Getting to know each other.
Alicia: Mom can I see you in the kitchen for a sec.
(Alicia and Rose enter into the kitchen.)
Alicia: Did you have to go all mommy dearest on him?
Rose:  I don’t know what you mean.
Alicia:  Oh puh-lease mom he looked terrified.
Rose: Consider yourself lucky I’m not cleaning my rifle.
Interrupting each other.
Alicia: You don’t have a rifle.
Rose: But if this is the gratitude I get, maybe I should just break out the baby pictures.
Alicia: Oh god, keep your albums on the shelf, okay. (Exasperated sigh)Thank you for not cleaning the rifle that you don’t own, in front of my date.
Rose: Was that really so hard?
Alicia: Yes. I better go back in before he tries to make a run for it.
(They rejoin Sam in the hallway.)
Alicia: Sorry about that.
Sam: It’s fine.
Rose: Have her home by eleven.
Alicia: Midnight.
Sam: 10:30 it is ma’am.
Rose: Right answer young man.

No comments:

Post a Comment